View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi. I'm putting this question here because I honestly don't know where to put it.
Medications & Treatments?

Quote:
So she would like to know what she could take INSTEAD of Lipitor that is a supplement
Extended/sustained release niacin (nicotinic acid). This should be investigated thoroughly; as with any meds, it is not without side effects/risks, and there are some people who should not take it.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...40/myths-facts

The biggest side effect is niacin flushing. Flushing is purportedly less with extended/sustained release formulations than with immediate release. It is often recommended to take at bedtime, as flushing is less noticable for many people while they're asleep. Flushing can further be abated by taking 1 aspirin or 1 vitamin C (either ascorbic acid or Ester C) 1/2 hour before taking the niacin. Flushing often abates as the body assimilates.

Other forms of niacin are flush-free, but they do not have the cholesterol lowering effect.

My DW was prescribed a statin and had problems too. We researched niacin and our doctor was happy to work with us. He prescribed Niaspan - a prescription form of sustained release niacin. After checking online and at the local pharmacy, we found the exact same thing can be gotten OTC for 1/10 the price.

She started on the "prescription" dose - 500 mg/day. It worked SO well, that at her first re-test, she was able to cut that dose in half, which further reduced incidence of flushing and other side effects.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote