View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 12:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I've been looking some more into iodine today and want to make some notes:

It does not appear that sodium and iodine compete with eachother. I don't know that for sure but I cannot find any confirming information. Therefore, do not assume that they compete or correlate like calcium and magnesium.

In the periodic table, Iodine is a halogen (column 17) and sodium is an alkali metal (column 1). Calcium and Magnesium (both column 2) are alkaline earth metals. So, you see... by the periodic table, it looks like sodium is a good way to get iodine.

It was definitely worth the question though because of the mistake they made with iron and spinach for all those years (And some people still think spinach is a good source of iron!):

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s301760.htm

Quote:
But it's all wrong. The original German scientists way back in the 1890's did their experiment right, but they wrote the result down wrong. They put the decimal point in the wrong place. They over-estimated the amount of iron in spinach by 10 times. This error was corrected by German scientists in the 1930's, but the information did not cross the Atlantic until a long time after WW II. To get his iron, Popeye would have been better off chewing on the can.

01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote