View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What an interesting and stimulating conversation!

I would like to share at the outset that my skepticism arises from a little personal experience; yet I am genuinely interested in learning about the theory and basis of it in this situation.

Due to having regional enteritis and having undergone surgery to remove and bypass sections of intestine, I ended up with peritonitis, hepatitis and secondary pancreatitis. The affect on pancreatic function was quite severe and so for around 6 months I was required to take pancreatin and additional digestive enzymes as well.

Now admittedly, I do not know if 'DNase1' was in the mix, or if there is a suggested protocol for taking the replacement enzymes in this case; but I do know that protease was in the mix that I was given; both through intubation and then orally.

Did it have an affect on my MS, hypothyroidism or even the regional enteritis? No.

These symptoms of auto-immune disease were all very much active before surgery, during recovery and remained so even once the peritonitis infection and organ inflammations were brought under control, and I continued with the enzyme replacement.

Again, I think it is important to remain open to, as well as to analyze with careful scrutiny all ideas; but I do have a resistance to 'single answer theories'. The resistance is based on a personal belief that although symptoms may be similar when comparing both individuals and diseases, that we are all individuals with individual genetics, conditions and circumstances etc; and that the similarities of symptoms are more due to the fact that we have in common a human body that reacts in relatively predictable ways; such as inflammation.

Yet, I am listening...

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (08-20-2012)