View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice md View Post
They had you see psychiatrists because your illness didn't fit any box that they knew. It had nothing to do with your age, gender, level of education or even your behavior. It had nothing to do with you. It was their way of dealing with their own frustration.
Had they actually made a diagnosis that fit the symptoms, I would agree. Instead, I was first told I needed a psych eval before I could go back to the University practice. I have a feeling that something was written in my chart at that point because it was a long time before my pain was taken seriously. When that didn't pan out because I didn't want group therapy for loneliness (as they thought that was the source of my "pain"), they then they sent me to a neuro-psychiatrist who completely missed the neuro symptoms and told me I was depressed--of course I was, but there was a reason for it. When my eyes got so bad I could no longer read, they did send me to a neuro-ophthalmology, but he completely missed the MG, told me it was just muscle spasms and gave me dilating drops. The learning needs center told me that as I wasn't technically blind, I had to wait until everyone who was blind go their books on tape before I could receive mine, which meant that the semester would be 1/2 - 3/4 over before I'd get my text books and I had to drop out of classes.

When my pain doctor first saw me, he told me he didn't know what I had, and that he could only treat the symptoms, but he was appalled by the treatment I'd received and I needed to give up on community doctors and be seen by a university center.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I've spent about 15 years trying to prove to doctors that whatever is going on is neither in my head, or a minor case of arthritis. Unfortunately, I no longer see the doctors to whom I needed to prove this, except that I credit this stubbornness with keeping me alive this long while I've had undiagnosed stiff person syndrome.

I'll get off my soap box now.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote