View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrae View Post
Hello everyone, I typically hang out in the RSD/CRPS group, but I am having some MAJOR back issues today and thought I would reach out here.

So here’s what’s going on I have had a discectomy L5/S1 back in 2004 when it ruptured. I awoke from this surgery with a whole new problem called RSD/CRPS II. A couple of months ago I had an MRI and I have L3 & L4 bulging. I have had the flu and have been coughing for at least a week or so. I know this isn’t helping anything. But this morning I woke up and my back is in excruciating pain, I have been debating or waring with myself to go to the ER. I can’t take a deep breath and it not be horribly painful. And if I take too big of a step while trying to walk… same thing, very, very painful.

I’m trying to figure out what the heck has happened. I have amped up on pain meds and it takes the edge off but that is all it does. The hosp that I would have to go to stinks in that the wait will be very, very long. I’m scared to even try and get into the car for fear I won’t be able to get back out once at the ER. What to do, what to do. AND I am worried something major has happened. All while I was asleep… how strange to have woken up this way this morning. Any advice… suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Hi, I am sorry to hear of your problem and pain. Anytime you have new pain it can mean a new problem. Your coughing fit could definitely be just enough to have caused a further problem with your back and it sounds painful and perhaps serious. You can visit the ER or your orthopedist, who should follow through with testing like an MRI. If he doesn't, then insist. You need to know what is wrong so you can choose the right plan of action right away or as soon as is comfortable for you and possible. If you don't get adequate info or care with one doctor go to another until you are satisfied. There is always a reason for pain. Degeneration can cause problems, although some people with perhaps low vit d over time and various other problems can actually break bones doing virtually nothing.

The point is, get the info you need when the time is best for you. I would bring with you a trusted individual who might be able to speak for you or remember for you when you are in too much pain. Backup is sometimes important in medical situations and may press a doctor to spend adequate time with you since there is someone else watching.

Don't forget to get a copy OF EVERYTHING that you sign and all reports. Before leaving your appointment you should fill out a medical release and request that the doctor notes be sent to you. This way you can keep track of whether your concerns were heard, mistaken or ignored, and can correct and address this. If they think you are just a drug addict you went will get the idea from the notes, and know you need to seek further. Sometimes these notes are the only way you will ever know if to your care was adequate.

In addition, research all terms you don't understand, your diagnosis,and treatment options including medications and side effects. In this day and age there is much to loose with quick appointments. I have been misdiagnose for 7 years with a mass effect on my sciatic and torn piriformis muscle origionally misdiagnosed as a back strain. I didn't have anyone with me and the doctor refused to spend more than a few minutes with me. I have also multiple other serious surgical injuries that he missed.

Good luck.
mar777y is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Vrae (08-21-2012)