View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
Tatia, the SFEMG tests the activity of muscle fibers. There are no muscles in the eyelid itself, right? So there would be no reason to insert the needle into the eyelid itself (thank goodness).

Half an hour seems about right to me, from my three EMGs.

Abby
There are muscles in the eyelid. I know for certain, the pretarsal portion of the orbicularis oculi goes right up to the eyelashes. For ten years, I got Botox injections directly into the eyelids to treat muscle spasms. There are definitely muscles in the eyelids, and needles into the eyelids is not as big a deal as it sounds.

I'm not certain, but I think the levator palpebrae superioris muscle is also in the eyelid, because when administering Botox injections for blepharospasm, the center of the eyelid must be avoided because of the levator muscle. When that muscle becomes weakened by Botox, the result is ptosis.

So if the EMG equipment never touched my eyelids, is it possible my levator is affected, but wouldn't have shown up on the EMG? Is it a different muscle than the levator that causes ptosis in myasthenia gravis?
Geode is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote