View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think that once you have a "waste basket" diagnosis you can throw everything into, it is very convenient, as you no longer have to think about this patient.

This can be extremely dangerous and harmful (and in fact it is).

I am not saying that there are no true psychiatric problems (even though I do think there is significant over-diagnosis, because there is a very large spectrum of normal, so how do you define abnormal?), but that there is no place for a diagnosis which is merely based on lack of knowledge and ignorance (of the specific physician, the entire field or even the entire profession).

I think physicians should avoid using this diagnosis (despite its convenience) and patients should be aware of its existence. (so that they know:1. It doesn't mean that there is something emotionally wrong with them, 2. It may be the lack of knowledge/experience of a specific physician, specific field and others may have the answer).

This diagnosis is "survival of the fittest". Only those who are assertive enough, have the determination, knowledge, ability and support required can survive it. I don't think it has a place in modern medicine.

I am sorry that you had to go through this. I am glad that you eventually found those physicians who treat you properly.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote