View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar777y View Post
Hi, I am sorry to hear of your problem and pain. Anytime you have new pain it can mean a new problem. Your coughing fit could definitely be just enough to have caused a further problem with your back and it sounds painful and perhaps serious. You can visit the ER or your orthopedist, who should follow through with testing like an MRI. If he doesn't, then insist. You need to know what is wrong so you can choose the right plan of action right away or as soon as is comfortable for you and possible. If you don't get adequate info or care with one doctor go to another until you are satisfied. There is always a reason for pain. Degeneration can cause problems, although some people with perhaps low vit d over time and various other problems can actually break bones doing virtually nothing.

The point is, get the info you need when the time is best for you. I would bring with you a trusted individual who might be able to speak for you or remember for you when you are in too much pain. Backup is sometimes important in medical situations and may press a doctor to spend adequate time with you since there is someone else watching.

Don't forget to get a copy OF EVERYTHING that you sign and all reports. Before leaving your appointment you should fill out a medical release and request that the doctor notes be sent to you. This way you can keep track of whether your concerns were heard, mistaken or ignored, and can correct and address this. If they think you are just a drug addict you went will get the idea from the notes, and know you need to seek further. Sometimes these notes are the only way you will ever know if to your care was adequate.

In addition, research all terms you don't understand, your diagnosis,and treatment options including medications and side effects. In this day and age there is much to loose with quick appointments. I have been misdiagnose for 7 years with a mass effect on my sciatic and torn piriformis muscle origionally misdiagnosed as a back strain. I didn't have anyone with me and the doctor refused to spend more than a few minutes with me. I have also multiple other serious surgical injuries that he missed.

Good luck.
I agree that an advocate with you is always a good idea. My husband goes with me, but he remains silent most of the time. He gets so frustrated that I think he’s afraid to open his mouth and say much of anything for fear he won't stop yelling at them. He’s never spent much time in hospitals before me and doesn’t really understand the environment.

And you’re right about records. It is on my list to get the latest records and notes (i have the older records & notes). I know I need to keep pushing for results/answers and I am going to. My husband is oh so close on a job offer. If that happens then my situation will be completely different. Funny how things work like that. When I had ins I could get care, but now with state aid no so much.
Vrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote