View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I received a letter back from Dr. Atasoy stating that my shoulder problems are not related to my TOS. I also asked him if I went to a health club what exercises not to do, I got back a letter from Dr. Atasoy. Below is what the letter states. I am posting this letter's content, since in the 17 years I have had TOS I have never before been told what activities could aggravate my TOS.

This is in response to your inquiry regarding exercises to avoid while working out. To avoid any worsening or aggravation of your thoracic outlet compression syndrome, caution should be taken in any activity that you might participate. The following are some general guidelines to use;
  • Lifting 20 lbs maximum with frequent lifting or carrying restricted to 10 lbs or less. ( this could gradually be increased if your grip strength improves and if there is no aggravation of symptoms)
  • Avoid constant repetitive/static use of hands - pushing/pulling, pinching/gripping, flexion/extension of wrist/elbow, pronation/supination (palm down/palm up)
  • Avdoid use of vibratory tools
  • Avoid overhead activities (keep hands below heart level)
  • Slower pace activity, set your own pace.

I would strongly advice you to be very careful if you decide to join a health fitness center. Any activity that causes an increase of symptoms should be discontinued.
moltra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jkl626 (08-22-2012), NerPain4 (11-20-2012)