View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey guys,

What a day at the dentist's today! First I was drilled by one of the assistants as to why I didn't follow the advise of the endodontist to get a retreatment on tooth 3.

I told her that it was my choice to rid myself of the infection instead of prolonging the inevitable and possibly making it worse. She just went on and on about the actual dates of extraction and who did what, then finally I had had enough!

I asked her if there was a problem and that she was being very judgemental and could we get on with why I was there - to get my permanent crown put on! I told her that I thought I would get a little more sympathy for what I had been through! Boy, that felt good.

She then backed off and got on with the reason I was there.
My dentist soon appeared and asked me how I was, to which I replied that I was feeling a little bit judged.

Since they have cubicles there and not separate rooms, she said she had heard it and tried to explain why they were asking extra questions about procedures and making sure everything was down in writing.

I really like this dentist, as she always sticks behind the patient and reassures them that their choices are right, and no one can make that kind of decision for them.

She thought that I should have a "bacterial removal cleaning and xrays" before doing anything else, and I agreed. Of course I got the permanent crown on today. Next Wednesday I go in for the cleaning.

After seating the crown, I loosened up some and felt a lot more comfortable, plus I had a different assistant at that time!
I told the dentist about the extractions and how easy one was, and for the other one I had IV sedation because it was a little more complicated.

I told her that I never wanted to have another root canal! She then told me that she had a retreated root canalled tooth, and I asked her if it felt better now. Her honesty really struck me. She told me that it felt okay only some of the time, and that it would eventually need to be extracted. I could tell by how she said it, that it was very hard for her to admit that.

Anyway, I'm feeling good now about staying with this dentist and am ready to move on to the cleaning, then the rest of the crown work.

I think that having a human interaction, something you can relate to with a doctor is so good for improving professional relations.

Sorry for being long winded! I'll be in touch.... Gretchen
gdmcor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (08-26-2012), ginnie (08-22-2012)