View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Bogus, bogus, bogus. Their explanation of it being depression because it is after 42 days shows their lack of knowledge of prolonged concussion.

The short assessment may be due to two reasons. It may have been a preliminary eval prior to scheduling a full assessment. Or, the examiner may have come to an early 'diagnosis' that lead her to her diagnosis and shortening of the assessment. I bet it was the second. The examiner was likely a intern or residency fellow. They need to complete a specific number of assessments under the supervision of the NeuroPsych to finish the neuropsych training. I have had one of these and he was an idiot.

There are some biased evaluators and therapists who believe that PCS heals by 6 weeks. This is totally unsupported by scientific research.

I bet Kessler is a teaching facility. I just checked and found "We provide core training experiences for resident physicians, fellows and post-doctoral students who are working towards their respective specialty and subspecialty certifications. We also provide clinical education for hundreds of students pursuing advanced degrees in rehabilitation medicine; physical, occupational, speech and recreation therapy; nursing; psychology and neuropsychology; and other disciplines."

Many rehab facilities have a very low standard of cognitive rehab. By that I mean they don't accept the symptoms of PCS as valid dysfunctions or disabilities. They often consider patients who have obtained motor function rehab to an expected level while still having minor cognitive symptoms as 'cured' or completely rehabbed. I see these same patients monthly at my brain injury support group. Very few have any continuing cognitive support.

It is very likely that your symptoms are below their threshold of rehabilitation.

The question for you is simple. Are you looking for a diagnosis so you can receive treatment or therapy or a diagnosis to just confirm your condition so you can settle a law suit or other disability claim? Or something else?

In the mean time, welcome to the club of the misdiagnosed by a NeuroPsych Assessment.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mrs-B (08-23-2012), ShellyK (08-22-2012)