Thread: Possible MG?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Jules,

First, I am so sorry that you have to go through this.

You are not the first (and probably not the last) patient who has been told she could have MG (based on her clinical symptoms) and then told that it was "ruled out" based on normal test results.

Making an accurate diagnosis on the internet is impossible.
But, at least from the way you describe your symptoms, it sounds like it could be MG. Normal test results make this diagnosis less likely but do not rule it out.

Roughly 20% of MG patients will not have detectable AchR abs. (This is the test done routinely to check for MG) out of those probably about1/4- 1/2 will have a normal EMG (even if the more sensitive SFEMG is done).
(it is hard to know the exact numbers because very few studies have been done in this group of patients). So, about 5-10% of MG patients will have completely normal tests.

It is much harder to make the diagnosis of MG without "objective" tests, so many neurologists just don't bother. Seeing an MG expert may be beneficial. First, the tests may have not been comprehensive enough or not done properly. Second, you may reach someone who is open-minded enough and confident enough in his clinical skills to diagnose your illness and treat you accordingly, even without supportive tests.

A proper respiratory test can be helpful, so I think you should wait for those results as well.

I hope you do find someone who could diagnose and more importantly treat your illness soon.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote