View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Daisy~Everything I say is just my opinion of course, but a large study done in Norway that tried to lower the risk of heart disease (more on that later) through the use of B12 and folic acid found that the supplements not only did not lower the risk of heart disease, but they increased the risk of developing cancer by 38%. Here is some information on this study.

http://coloncancer.about.com/b/2009/...ancer-risk.htm

There were very small amounts of supplements given in this study. About the amount you would get in a bowl of cereal and a multivitamin.

In addition, if you are unable to properly metabolize vitamin B12, no amount of supplemental B12 will correct this. If it doesn't work, then why take the risk associated with supplementation? Taking a pill that increases your risk of cancer by 38% is a very large risk in my opinion.

One of the main findings in autoimmune disease is spinal cord degeneration. According to the National Institutes of Health, subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord is "caused" by a vitamin B12 deficiency. As the following study shows, spinal cord degeneration can occur even with high levels of B12 in the serum.

Subacute Combined Degeneration with High Serum Vitamin B12
Level and Abnormal Vitamin B12 Binding Protein. New Cause of an
Old Syndrome
Reynolds E.H., T. Bottiglieri, M. Laundy, J. Stern, J. Payan, J. Linnell, J. Faludy 1993.
Arch Neurol. Jul;50(7):739-42.

I am not saying you shouldn't try and correct this, I am just saying taking supplements, in my opinion, is not the way to do it.
Annesse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote