View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Gretchen,

If a crown is cemented on without the patient being numb, the tooth can feel cold sensations during the cementation. It is also not unusual for a newly crowned tooth to be temperature sensitive for the first few hours after it is cemented. Occasionally this sensitivity can linger for a day or so but it should become less and less... not stay the same or increase.

Gold crowns are very durable but not necessarily stronger than other types of crowns. They are frequently used when the patient has a tight bite, meaning not much room for a thicker, porcelain, type crown.

I don't recall but by any chance do you have mercury or other metal fillings in your mouth? The reason I ask is because one important piece of information that is rarely shared regarding metal (gold) crowns in patients who still have other metal (mercury) fillings in their mouth is what is called galvanic current flow. This is an electrical current that occurs between dissimilar metals when they are either in contact with each other or when there is a physical conductor to transport the current. In the mouth the saliva can be the conductor. So some people who have various metal fillings/crowns who also have chronic or sporadic sensitivity in their mouths may be experiencing this condition. The sensations could be sharp, occasionally throbbing or just feel temperature sensitive.

The remedy to the galvanic response is to "properly" remove all of the mercury fillings and replace them with gold or non metal porcelain restorations. I know...... OMG :/

Another issue that could be contributing to the temperature sensitivity is the open margin along the gum line, that you mentioned. If that part of the tooth was shaved down, meaning the enamel portion was removed during the preparation of the crown.... then that area of the tooth is going to be vulnerable to temperature changes and plaque accumulation. Did you experience any sensitivity while you had the temporary crown on?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmcor View Post
Hi Bryanna,

It's a permanent crown that took about 2 weeks to get in, so I'm sure it was made in a dental lab. By the way, it's a gold crown, which I've never had before. The dentist said they are stronger?

I just noticed today that it doesn't cover part of the top of my tooth near the gum. I find that very strange!

Thanks for any advice you can give me! I don't know how I'd be getting through all this without your help.
Gretchen
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote