View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help Experience with onset by prescriptions?

Hello everybody,

My name is Adam, I'm 26 and, over the last two months, have been suffering from symptoms in-line with a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis. I've had an appointment scheduled with a neurologist for four weeks now and it is finally coming on Wednesday. Bloodwork from my primary care indicated the diagnosis was likely, but I am awaiting confirmation from a neurologist.

My sister, a pharmacist, was doing some research on the disease and discovered a lengthy list of medications that can onset the disease in someone predisposed to the disease. Included on the list was a blood pressure medicine I began taking approximately 2 weeks before the onset of my symptoms. I immediately stopped taking the medication and contacted my cardiologist, who advised me to stop, as well. I have an appointment with her on the same day as the neurologist.

Based on the documentation my sister found, once the medication has been stopped, the symptoms should begin to subside after about two weeks. My last dosage of the medicine was this past Saturday morning (8/18), so I've only been off a week, however, it seems my symptoms are getting worse. Does anyone have any experience with an onset of MG caused by a medication and the time it took for your symptoms to subside.

The first indication of something wrong was the first week of July, when I began having blurriness and double vision. After about a week, I decided to have an eye exam and found I have 20/20 vision. On the same day as my eye exam, I began having ptosis of my left eye. The following week, the ptosis on my left eye subsided, but began on my right eye, where it has remained since.

Towards the beginning of August, I began experiencing some slight weakness in my cheeks (swishing water around while brushing my teeth, holding air/water in my mouth). On 8/18, I began noticing more severe weakness in my cheeks, as well as fatigue while chewing. This has been getting progressively worse since then. In addition, since Wednesday 8/22, I've been experiencing intermittent issues with speaking, unable to physically get words out at some points and unable to pronounce certain words correctly.

I've been trying really hard to deal with the symptoms, but it's been very depressing. I know I might be expecting too much for the symptoms to subside quickly, but it's hard when I feel so hopeless. I'm hoping the appointment with the neurologist will start me on the road to dealing with the symptoms, if they don't go away (for now), but it's been such a long, stressful wait already.

Any insight or advice anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. (And sorry for being so long-winded! )
hajile99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote