View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Do you like rice? I love rice and eat brown rice every day which means I'm not really missing the wheat so much. That being said, I used to think I hated it because I never had it cooked properly.

Rinse the rice thoroughly before adding to heated oil in a saucepan. I usually have softened some onions with it. Add twice the volume of vegetable stock to rice, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes you get a very filling and nutritious base for a meal. It's very important to use twice the volume of water, otherwise it won't cook properly. Don't lift the lid either.

Risotto is also filling, cheap and easy to make. Leftover risotto can be formed into cakes, with a slice of cheese in the centre, then fried.

You can do this with leftover potatoes too... makes a nice snack. Even better, fry leftover sweet potato which is good for you.

* By fry I mean saute in a frying pan...not deep fry.

Hummus is good for you too. You can dip chips in it.

I don't know if you have them in the US (where I'm assuming you are) but in the UK we have something called flapjacks which are naturally GF and very good as a snack. They're a bit like oatmeal raisin cookies but more buttery. Look up a recipe... it's just a case of combining melted butter, sugar, honey and oats before baking.

Hope that helps...!
andromeda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-20-2012)