View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 01:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Why, Soccertese you surprise me :P

Skeptical of what exactly? Statistically, she is not far off the standard 30% med reduction and she is experiencing near 100% in her symptom profile. In DBS, you are lucky to get 50% improvement. Some do not even gain a med reduction with DBS at all. I would rather O.D. on strawberries first.

[Analysis of antiparkinsonian drug reduction after bilateral subthalamic deep brain stimulation].

I know the wheat germ thing sounds sort of sketchy, but it seems a normal response to have a gradual decline when you deny your body something that was in some way therapeutic.

Even if you don't buy the whole dietary approach, there is at least now a person who has done a lot of white rat work for us and identified two substances that really seem to help PWP. I'll take it. There is more here to trust than in the usual animal model experiments that never even make it to people.

No one saw the word "cure". If anything, you can just see if just eliminating the foods to avoid helps. That lower 1.5 pill dose of levodopa and 1/2 rasagaline may seem insignificant from a statistical standpoint, but qualitatively it means quite a bit when told that all you can expect is a downward spiral and meds that become unbearable; well, I guess this sounds better.

I will say they should have used a standard symptom measure on the UPRS scale at the key intervals of 2009 and 2011 after establishing a baseline. The author concludes by stating the need to study this on a larger patient sample.

I think overall the takeaway is that DBS was further delayed, symptoms reduced to almost zero, and she has not had to increase her meds above baseline. This implies that definitely impacts disease progression. My question is how long is it sustainable? It also begs the question of supplement form. Obviously, it is a journal with a bias toward food as medicine, so it remains up to others to see if taking strawberry extract works just as well.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Betsy859 (03-03-2015)