View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

A blood sugar level of 56 is dangerous for a struggling brain. You may have been experiencing ketosis. The next step is keto-acidosis that can be life-threatening. Ketosis is common in no or low carb diets. It is a sign that you need to adjust your diet. Your brain calls up ketones from your liver when it has no blood sugar to metabolize. Ketones are your body's reserve energy to keep the brain alive when the sugars are gone.

Depriving your brain of the sugars it needs is seriously counter to good brain health and recovery. You may want to try the Glucerna low glycemic foods. They will give you a dose of carbs that are slowly digested. It will help you keep you blood sugar where it belongs.

I tend to be chronically hypoglycemic. I know the struggle of preventing low blood sugar. 56 is just a step above a quick decline into hypoglycemic shock. Been there. Done that. Been in convulsions from low sugar. The nerves lock your muscles into spasm. My worst was in the low 40's. 50's have always been a warning to get my act together.

I have learned how to recognize my brain's need for carbs. Protein helps but takes longer to digest and can be hard on the kidneys. Cheese or nuts are a good solution in my experience.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-18-2012)