View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Understanding Magnesium Forms

Hi Mrs D hope your vacation was a good one and has left you feeling refreshed. I am found my way to this site in my quest to research Magnesium, its nutritional qualities and effects for my own health and well being and also at same time for our Horses benefit.

I do not have a medical reason for posting here and do acknowledge the huge support this forum gives to people in need of nutritional help and advice in response to their illness or difficulties. I am though very committed to researching as feel there is a lot of misconception and misinformation freely available. I have to admit I am very confused after reading lots of varying thoughts etc on the internet. I want to make the right choice but I am also aware when people want to 'sell' a product they can often use language which is not always clear!

I have read a lot of your information in this thread going back over several years and wanted to know if the studies and benefits of taking Magnesium Oxide still stand today?

Also do you have any information/understanding of Calcined Magnesium Oxide (Reactive Light Burn MgO) I understand there are three ways to 'burn' magnesium and is graded high-grade deadburned (DBM), electrofused (EFM) and calcined (CCM) I now know CCM is graded from KS85 KS90 KS92 KS94 and KS95. With 85 being the lowest Magnesium and is also the cheapest form.

I have also comes across Magox which people say is a heavier form of powder. I have recently discovered Magnesium Chloride which is extensively used in the agricultural industry where it can be given to lactating cattle at 250gms per day and I also see we humans can benefit from baths containing this form.

My main reason for trying to understand the mag ox V mag chlorine debate is because of our horses. On horse forums mag ox is widely used and mag chlorine shunned because it is used for Cows! Now when researching Mag ox it is also used by Cows and Fertilisers for arable land. I have yet to find a study which supports mag Ox while at same time have found good reports about mag chl.

Can you offer me your thoughts please, this would help also with a course I am starting called NRC plus with a DR Kellon from USA over the internet which hopefully will give me a broad perspective on nutrition.

All the best

Rod Smith
Roderick.j.smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote