View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi ! I haven't had that particular surgery, but since you have compression of the spiinal cord, it's obvious something needs to be done! And I guess the surgery you're having is about the only thing that CAN be done, although I'm afraid of fusions as the levels above and below the fusion sites tend to fail, leaving you with probable problems later on. It's called the "domino" effect, and usually the doctors don't tell you that. But you do what you have to do.

You'd better figure on longer healiing times than what they've said. I do NOT see you going back to work in 8 weeks after THAT kind of surgery! I had 2 open laminectomy/disectomies/foramenotomies and it was 4 months before I could go back PART TIME and 6 months before I could go back full time!! And I didn't have fusion!!! It was the same for each surgery. So plan on a bit longer. You'll need some help when you first get home. The first week is going to be rough. Perhaps your Mom or a neighbor could come in and help. Have some meals cooked ahead of time and freeze them so all you have to do is defrost them and put them in the oven for your family.
Make sure all the laundry is done before surgery too so no one is holllering for clean clothes. LOL Have the grocery shopping done too.

Hopefully others will come in and add to the list of things to do ahead of time, and also add to what you should know about the surgery. God bless and best of luck! Hugs, Lee
THANKS, Lee! Prayers and hugs are always welcomed! Fortunately, my Mom and one of my brother's is living with me right now, so I'll have good support from them and others post surgery. It's a huge blessing to have loving support, but I'm also glad to have found this forum. None of my family/friends have had serious back pain/issues and it's a help to hear from others who know what I'm experiencing.

I'm so sorry to hear what a rough time you've had. You truely have been through a lot! I've heard from a couple of others that have gone through this to expect longer recovery times as well, so I guess I'm beginning to resign myself to that. The neurosurgeon did warn me that the surgery is more to prevent any future damage and that it may or may not relieve the pain -- which is why I don't want to wait longer to do it since while not good, the pain is not horrendous right now and I'm worried it will just get worse. But he didn't really discuss the domino effect. Instead he said that he hoped this would buy 5-7 years before having to undergo other surgeries which he believes are inevitable since almost all the discs have at least mild-to-moderate degeneration.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how things go....
lal209 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote