View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, Beckel! I had a 3-level ACDF (C4-7) back in Nov with instumentation. The surgery was at 5 in the afternoon and I was up and getting around the hospital room the next morning at 0600! I went home that afternoon around 2. They sent me home with methocarbanal (a muscle relaxant) and percocet. I took them pretty much as recommended at first, but after a couple of days started trying to take less. I later learned that while it's ok to minimize the percocept, you should stay on track with the muscle relaxant because it helps the body heal faster. (Don't know if this is right, but was what I was told.)

My biggest problem was constipation -- I didn't do what they said re stool softeners and it took 7 days, many stool softeners, several sepositories, and 2 bottles of liquid laxative to finally get relief! So follow their instructions re that!

Ginnie is right about the wedge pillow. I didn't have a brace, but found that lying/sitting with a sloping pillow really helped with pain and getting comfortable.

The biggest advice though is to take it easy like they tell you re picking up things and doing too much. I found fatigue to be a big problem and several times I unconciously picked up things and did things I shouldn't. I set me back at one point as far the recovery went. So take of yourself and allow the body to heal. Just because you feel ok doesn't mean you can go back to your normal routine. Take the time they tell you before doing that!

Best wishes and prayers for a successful and speedy recovery!
lal209 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Beckel (08-27-2012), eva5667faliure (08-27-2012), gnikki (08-31-2012), mrsalkire (08-27-2012)