View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

To the best of my knowledge, there is only a study on animals showing ALA...mixed version of lipoic acid... had an effect on T4 conversion.

R-lipoic does not appear yet in studies in humans demonstrating this effect.

People with thyroid issues, may just need adjustments periodically.
Low zinc and selenium are also factors in the enzymes that convert T4 to T3 in tissues. You can get low in zinc if you take acid blocking drugs, or ACE inhibitors for blood pressure.

Since ALA has been used for over a decade in Europe, human studies have not been done or anecdotal papers have not appeared in regards to humans having this effect with the supplement.

What lipoic acid may do however, is lower biotin utilization because it shares a cofactor transporter in the body. So chronic use of lipoic may need biotin to be added daily...preferably taken at a different time of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susana1027 View Post
I,too, have hypothyroidism and I have been taking the Nerve Support Formula. I've been having symptoms of my thyroid being low and was on the verge of calling my doctor when I just happened across some important information. That Support Formula has R-Alpha Lipoic Acid in it. R-Alpha Lipoic is often used to help Peripheral Neuropathy. But - it also lessens your body's ability to convert T-4 to T-3. My doctor knows that I'm taking that formula but didn't warn me about the consequences to my thyroid levels. The information I've found says that I can continue taking the formula but my doctor needs to adjust my thyroid medication. I'll be calling my doctor this morning about this.

Plus, as you probably know, low thyroid levels can cause peripheral neuropathy. So keep a close eye on your thyroid levels.

The formula has helped me in a limited way but not a great deal. But perhaps the effect on my thyroid levels has caused that limitation. So I plan to get my medication adjusted and continue the formula for a while longer to see what happens.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-27-2012)