View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
I would definitely go by how you feel and how your symptoms are , if you are functioning well enough and PT is helping stick with it.

I think quite a few people get by with TOS, my pulse still cuts off in certain positions but I can handle that & adjust to it, and haven't had any clots or vascular problems at all.

If you don't have a lot of swelling, clots, or pain issues why have surgery....

Sometimes surgeons just like to do surgery....and make $$$
Jo Mar you are so right, if you don't have pain issues and you are improving with physical therapy , i would give it some time.
Also, sometimes we need more than one physical therapist to heal us and we need to keep researching, as in my journey I have learnt that many of us have musculature, postural and structural issues that the compression can be coming from and that it's the muscles that hold the ribs in place. Things can go into dysfunction because of that and surgery may not be the only answer! Theres a list of therapists on this forum that you can refer to if you need to.

Also, if you are still having coldness in your hand try abdominal breathing exercises at least for 20 minutes at a time and your hand should warm up. If you are already doing them thats great.

Or see if it's positional for you, does a change in position improve your symptoms, which means the compression can be mild and it doesn't warrant surgery atleast for now. I am an Atos patient and pain, swelling and coldness was definitely a big issue before surgery and I don't have any swelling or pain in my fingers now.
Hope that helps good luck!

Last edited by stos2; 08-27-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add info
stos2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote