View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Actually, the statistic is that 85% heal spontaneously within a week or two. The rest of us can take weeks to years to recover. The stats also say that the longer one struggles, the greater the likelihood of a prolonged recovery period.

My first concussion at 10 years old left me unconscious for 30 minutes. I was hospitalized for three days because I was talking with slurred and slowed speech. I also had large abrasions wrapped from my fingers to half-way to my elbows. My face was also covered with scabs. I still have a small bump on my forehead after 47 years.

I though I recovered by 4 days but my report cards show how long I struggled. I became severely depressed and struggled with depression for a few years. Every time I bumped my head again, I would have more serious symptoms. The cumulative effect of concussions can be miserable. Most of my recovery has been from learning new ways to do things.

You are still very early in the cycle of recovery. You need to try to avoid anxiety. It is hard on a recovering brain. The most you can do to enhance your recovery is rest with a quiet mind. If you can find simple things to distract you, it will help. Playing simple card games with friends with quiet talk should be OK. Only one person talking at a time.

I hope you can find ways to get the quiet rest you need. Boredom can be a problem so anything you can do keep mildly occupied will be good.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote