View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This doctor actually told you that the surgery would "stop the pain?" Please RUN from this doctor, because the chances are you will still have the same pain or worse. NO doctor should promise that he can "stop the pain!"

Spinal surgery is NOT for pain. It is for mechanical problems ONLY. Almost ALL the time, you will still have pain. You should try ALL CONSERVATIVE METHODS before undergoing surgery and you should also get at least 2 more opinions before allowing this doctor (or any other)to even touch you, and I'd be skeptical about this doctor. I AM concerned about the loss of strength that you're experiencing, so I'd try to get an appointment with another neurosurgeon as SOON as possible. Tell the next surgeon's office that you are having loss of strength so maybe they'll work you in.

Also, spine surgery begets spine surgery. For instance, I had 2 open spiine surgeries. The first was lumbar, at level L4-5. After that surgery, level L3-4 failed because it had to take on more of the load after L4-5 had been operated on. And so it goes. The levels above & below the surgery sites fail. It's called the "Domino Effect" and most doctors don't tell their patients about it. It happens with fusions too, which I did NOT have.

So again, make sure you get 2 other opinions, and get them soon if you can. And remember - you willl NOT be pain free. I wish you the very best. if you have further questions, just ask. Or you can private message me if you'd like. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote