View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 11:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmDiva View Post
I just joined the forum, did a search for alcoholic neuropathy which brought me to your post. I've been a heavy drinker for 10 years. Last year, I began having balance/gait issues. Sometimes, just standing, causes my legs to shake.

Finally I saw a neurologist who diagnosed me with ataxia. MRI was fine. I don't have the pain, tingling, numbness that so many of you describe. My question is this; is ataxia usually a symptom of neuropathy? Seems like what I'm experiencing is a little different.

I do have a Vit D defiency, so started supplements, and have stopped drinking. Thank you all for being here. I hope I can recover from the damage I've done.
Ataxia, from what I understand is usually caused by a problem in the central nervous system (IE: the brain and pinal cord). My husband has centeral and periphial nervous system damage from alcohol. He has PN and vit d and b deficency.His Ataxia is severe as he can not even stand. What I have read about Ataxia in alcoholics, it usually comes from damage to the Cerebellar area of the brain. My husband's MRI did not show any damage in that area on MRI, but I don't think that really means anything.I hope you can find the answers you are looing for. Good Luck!
youngwife is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote