View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
This doctor actually told you that the surgery would "stop the pain?" Please RUN from this doctor, because the chances are you will still have the same pain or worse. NO doctor should promise that he can "stop the pain!"

Spinal surgery is NOT for pain. It is for mechanical problems ONLY. Almost ALL the time, you will still have pain. You should try ALL CONSERVATIVE METHODS before undergoing surgery and you should also get at least 2 more opinions before allowing this doctor (or any other)to even touch you, and I'd be skeptical about this doctor. I AM concerned about the loss of strength that you're experiencing, so I'd try to get an appointment with another neurosurgeon as SOON as possible. Tell the next surgeon's office that you are having loss of strength so maybe they'll work you in.

Also, spine surgery begets spine surgery. For instance, I had 2 open spiine surgeries. The first was lumbar, at level L4-5. After that surgery, level L3-4 failed because it had to take on more of the load after L4-5 had been operated on. And so it goes. The levels above & below the surgery sites fail. It's called the "Domino Effect" and most doctors don't tell their patients about it. It happens with fusions too, which I did NOT have.

So again, make sure you get 2 other opinions, and get them soon if you can. And remember - you willl NOT be pain free. I wish you the very best. if you have further questions, just ask. Or you can private message me if you'd like. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
Thank you for your response! So sorry to hear about your failed surgeries and hope things improve for you. I see what you are saying about other opinions. That is a very sound and logical approach and I will do that. I wonder if cervical surgery outcomes are different from the lower spine. I guess if he is giving me false info, I should run. I will be having PT check strength in the morning. Monday it had improved which is good and as I type now, I have little to no pain so I think it could be healing up, or at least I pray it is. I do remember a loss of strength with c5/c6 rupture and that returned. I think that the domino effect with the spine is pretty common with fusions as they tend to change the dynamics of the spine--I certainly want to avoid that. I am really worried about this surgery and the information you provided is so helpful. I will let you know what happens but I am looking into a 2nd opinion. THANKS!!
ajhidell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote