View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Is your stenosis really bad? Is that why they're doing the fusion? Cause I don't see why they'd be doing a fusion for a bulge and herniation.

I'm sure you're going to be pretty sore afterwards, and like the others have said, you're going to need help for about the first week afterwards. Make sure you have some meals made up beforehand, and frozen so you don't have to cook when you get home. Have a walker rented from a pharmacy or health supply store, cause you're going to be uneasy on your feet and may feel "wobbly" at first. So having a walker at home would be smart.

Make SURE you talk with your doctor beforehand about post-surgery medication! You're going to need pain medication and Vicodiin probably won't do it! That's usually what they give you, as that's ALWAYS what they gave me after my spinal surgeries. Believe me, it didn't TOUCH the pain. So talk with him about the pain meds BEFORE you go in!

Make sure your laundry is all done before you go in. You won't be able to do any laundry after surgery. And of course like the other poster mentioned, you willl NOT be able to vacuum. My neurosurgeon told me I should NEVER vacuum again! He said that vacuuming is the WORST thing a spine patient can do, along with raking leaves. He said the back & forth motion is HORRIBLE for a spine patient, and never to do it again!

I can't think of much more to add -- I'll probably think of all kinds of things inn the middle of the night. LOL God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote