View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused PREGNANT and MEDS...HELP!!!

Hi everyone:

I have RSD in both my rt. foot/leg and lft. foot/leg. My RSD started in just my rt. foot and slowly started spreading throughout the leg. I have had 26 Lumbar Sympathetic Blocks and 1 Spinal Cord Stimulator Trial. After the SCS Trial I realized the RSD had spread to my lft. foot/leg. It is exactly the same now on both sides. It is horrible. I also suffer from insomnia.

My doctor has me on: Duragesic Patches 75mg - 1 every 48 hours, Morphine Sulfate IN 30mg - 1 every 6 hours, Topomax 100mg - 1 @ bedtime, Valium 10mg - 1 every 6 hours, Klonopin 1mg - 2 @ bedtime.

I just found out 3 days ago that I am pregnant, 6 weeks. I called my Pain Dr. to tell him because we had just scheduled 9 Lumbar Blocks for the month of May and I had to cancel them, and ask him about my meds. He told me to find an OB/GYN and see what they will allow me to take. I called around the Las Vegas area to find the best OB/GYN, since I am new to the area and told them my situation. The earliest they can get me in is the 27th for an ultrasound and the 30th for a consultation to talk about the US and the meds. I can't wait that long being that this my 1st tri-mester and most critical phase for the baby.

So, I started researching the meds myself. I found out Valium and Klonopin could cause "floppy baby" syndrome. So, I stopped those immediately. I stopped the Topomax also because I read horrible things on anti-sezure meds and pregnancy. I read up on my MSIN and Duragesic and they seem to be okay except for the fact that the baby could be born with a dependency.

I need some advice. Is anyone familiar with this? Or, has anyone had a child while having RSD? I would love to know your story. I have never had a child and my fiance and I are so afraid that we may lose it. We want to take every precaution that we can.

Thanks for any advice and information!
nopainever is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote