View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

As for "gifting" to relatives, I believe the amount is severely limited, and you'd have to do it before going into the facility, so you probably would not be able to gift enough to last several years at $2000-4000 a year.

I would have to talk to Mayo on the phone about this, as going there is a long and expensive process, as I recounted--the plane, the taxis, the motels, and so forth being $2000 each time, including the co-pay. If I have to go to Mayo again, I will ask for a Social Worker. I would have to ask ahead, as when I went last time I was just going to the radiation oncology doctor and nothing else was scheduled...but I will schedule ahead.
However, I need to know pretty soon unless I just stay in my home here and don't go into a facility soon. Maybe they'd talk over the phone about it, I'm not sure.

I also was at Hopkins some time ago but they didn't help with my Polycythemia Vera treatment, which I later had at Mayo, although I loved the "atmosphere" at Hopkins, the old buildings, the art in the corridors, the giant marble angel in one of the old buildings, the
cafeteria. I could walk better then, walked miles, although my feet did burn, but it was so exciting I forgot about the neuropathy in my feet. But I learned less there than at Mayo about PV. They (Hopkins) claimed to know nothing about Porphyria in the hematology dept. Porphyria, like PV, is usually treated by a hematologist. Are hematologists who don't know anything about Porphyria lazy?
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote