View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

medicare is about to take a HUGE price jump so be aware. Its going to be $120 in 2013 but it will double in 2014 to $240! so be aware.

Many MDs are opting out of the program, but if you go to these major clinics that accept federal funds they MUST accept medicare and medicaid. This is why the ER is always so full. Its so hard to find an MD who will take medicaid and if you can the wait list is very long, so off to the ER you go! common colds, rashes, boo boos and the like instead of using the ER for emergencies its clogged with common care. Many ERs have opened an "urgent care" side to the clinic to take care of colds/flu and the like while true emergencies can be handled with the big guns. The cost is less, but the care is still good. good luck finding a dentist who takes medicaid.

I would call your husbands insurance company. Sometimes they demand that if you qualify you MUST take medicare or they will place you on the equivalent program thru them. if it wouldnt be covered under medicare they wont pay for it either. I would ask a patient benefit co ordinator to help you decide. another good advocate is your pharmacist as they are really good at the plans.

Please know that if your spouse is working medicare would be your 2ndary insurance. Once both of you stop working, medicare goes to the head of the line. (that one killed me) and the normal rules apply, but you have the back up of medicare. Normally once you say NO i dont want medicare as part of SSDI they dont normally give you a second chance unless you turn 62. it was highly reccomended that I take it and be triple covered instead of not taking it and missing out. Please call 1 800 medicare and ask if you turn it down, can you reapply in a year or will it cause you to be denied till you are 62.

insurance can be such a mess! good luck.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
daisy.girl (09-01-2012)