View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi again Heather.

First, I had to stop taking Neurontin because my eyes stopped focusing on the same place. The first time it happened it was really interesting: suddenly I was looking at two different parts of the road at one time, and the road my left eye saw was about a foot higher than the one my right eye saw. I was afraid I was gonna run into the higher part.

I didn't like gabatril either, but didn't notice any side effects at all with Lamictal. If you decide to keep looking, good luck.

It just happens that I was a pscchiatric social worker and certified substance abuse counselor before I became a crochety old man. Take your finger off the panic button, kiddo, all those things we're all read about birth defects and addicted babies only represent the very worst possible outcomes.

The women who delivered those babies were MAJOR substance abusers, spending every penny they could steal on drugs. They smoked enough crack in one day to put three normal women in the morgue. Same about heroin and coke. The chance that the small amount of meds you have taken since you got pregnant is going to hurt your baby is about the same as the chance that I'll get lucky tonight.

Neither you or my wife have anything to worry about.

I remember that several teens were admitted to our nuthouse while pregnant and abusing drugs. We didn't have the funding to run any studies, but drugs, pregnancy and birth weights were the topic of many discussions among staff. Since these girls didn't get to take drugs while they were our guests, we were able to put together some pretty good guestimates about birth weight, and those fell right into the average for deliveries in our county.

I am too professional to claim that the drugs you took didn't hurt your baby, but I do get to say that if this had happened to my wife I would have been reassured by facts that I learned later. I would have been apprehensive, but would have not lived in fear of what we would see when our baby was born.

I don't lie to make people feel better, I calls em like I sees em, and I promise you that the reality will be lots better than what you're afraid will happen...Vic

Oh. yeah, about the sleep thing: I can't remember the last time I slept more than three hours. If you find something that works, let me know...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 04-23-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: make it better
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote