View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Jeffrey and others,

I was not trying to predict the future. I was just commenting about the odds of another head impact. I stopped all activities that could put me at risk of a head impact after impact number 4. In the 30 years since then, I have suffered 10 more head impacts. I have not been in any auto accidents nor suffered any sports related impacts.

Normal life provides plenty of opportunities for incidental head impacts. Doors and door frames, trips and falls, crowds with heads moving around, and dozens of other daily tasks put our sensitive heads at risk. We'd even be at risk living in a cave. LOL

We need to expect to suffer another head impact or more to give us a reference for how to move forward.

pcslife,

When I say nobody ever recovers fully, I am not saying they have PCS symptoms. I am saying their brain is left in a weakened state that is sensitive to further impacts, every kind of stressor, and most specifically, will benefit from moderating stress and other negative factors. Scientific research shows the concussed brain is different than the non-concussed brain. Going on taking risks and continuing to live a stress filled life will be detrimental.

Yes, I know of successes. I was a success after concussions many times in my life. I did not live in a PCS state. Nobody knew I had any limits from my concussion history. In hindsight, I can chart the differences in my functions, personality, and other characteristics that were different than prior to the impacts. Those differences are rarely attributed to the 'recovered' concussion.

I am trying to impress on Aliciaj that recovery is a relevant term.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 09-03-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (04-07-2013)