View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Disheartened!

I had the SCS implanted almost a year ago Nov 2011. The clinical trial wasn't a very good way to assess it because you're so restricted. It seemed to help though so I went forward. Three months out I began having pain in my mid back. I originally decided to go with the SCS because of chronic pain in my lower back and legs for over nine years resulting from an auto accident. I have been on Fentanyl patches, oral morphine and lortab (all at one time) on a daily basis the past nine years. I wanted desperately to not have pain and be off medications at least partially! I wanted to feel normal.

Three months I began to have pain and ignored it because I thought my body was adjusting. after a couple months I believe around five months after surgery the pain was becoming more intense and was daily and now now overshadowing the lumbar pain I have had for the past nine years.
Somewhere around month 8 in July of this year I was on the floor cleaning up an apply juice spill and when I went to get up I felt a burning and sharp pain at the surgical site and a hot, sharp intense pain around my rib. Almost like someone had just taken a knife and sliced around my rib very quickly. After that day the pain was so intense my meds increased and my mobility decreased. Then on some days I dont'know what it is I do but perhaps some form of movement? bending over? whatever causes it I don't know but suddenly my hands up to my elbows go numb and tingle just a bit and my feet up to my knees will go numb. The length of these episodes vary the longest being around nine hours. When this happens the pain is decreased. There is a weakness in my feet and hands when they are numb and I've fallen once during one of these times. When it passes the pain increases in intensity and it's back to the same old story.

I do not know what has happened but at this point I'm ready for removal. I've simply added a new level of pain to my life as if the original lower back pain wasn't enough!! There are days the pain is so much so that I sit and cry till I fall asleep. It has brought me to such a place of depression and hopelessness unable to enjoy my life. It's taken what little sense of worth I had as a mother and wife having so much pain, being a burden on my family and not being able to pull my own weight around the house.

I called my surgeon but they referred me to boston scientific and I"m waiting for a call from them which I have not yet received.
I'm praying and hoping for the best.
tkherron1@insightbb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NerPain4 (01-12-2013), Rrae (09-05-2012)