View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lower back and legs

I think there's a few other people with lower back issues on here, so I'll put this in. I think sometimes after you've had TOS for a long period of time, it can start to affect your lower back and legs.

Sharon Butler says, "Fascia changes consistency due to injury, surgery or other trauma, like a car accident. The more time that has passed since the original trauma, the more likely it is that the restriction in the fascia has effected a larger and larger area."

I've had two lower back surgeries myself. One in 1990 and one in 1994. I've had chronic pain in my lower back in both legs, ever since.

At the end of last year, I flared my lower back up a really bad doing stretching exercises and had to go to the hospital several times. The pain was unbearable. They finally got it to calm down was some steroids and epidural.

Since then, I've been extremely careful when stretching my back and legs. The Intu-flow exercises have been working well for me at loosening up my hips and legs.

For about a month now, I've been walking 3 miles every morning wearing ankle weights. This helps get my heart rate up a little bit more, which I'm trying to do because I'm also recovering from a heart valve replacement six months ago. When I'm done, I do hip mobility exercises with the ankle weights on. The extra weight seems to help stretch my hips a little better. So far, (knock on wood) it hasn't been irritating the nerves in my legs.

I think a lot of the pain in my legs is from tight muscle fascia because it is improving with the mobility exercises. It's a slow process but I'm not seeing anyone else my age (50) posting much about improving after many years, so I think I'm on the right path. Everything I'm doing is pretty much old school, just simple movement and mobility exercises.
Coop42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote