View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How would you cope if the situation were reversed?

That Rosebud woman has alot to answer for!!!! She`s got me thinking and wondering I don`t like thinking or wondering too deep... Rosebud.
I`ve started this as a new thread cos it`s not just pertaining to panic attacks.
Having replied in the panic thread,that my husband who is well capable of getting an entire flock of folk to safety given an emergency situation[such is his intensive training and his awesome ability to leap into action, with calm and control...needs a little more training on the emotional side though lol
...there was a marked difference when it came to dealing with my panic attack.He was clearly lost and helpless.I am not being deflammatory towards him.This is my point. It made me realise that I too,if placed in his position,would struggle to know how to deal with someone elses panic attack.Quite naturally,because we are ill ourselves,the main topics are about us...when we "go haywire" [again..this is natural]
But what if WE were the ones who in a given situation were the ONES who had to cope with someone elses panic attacks...someone elses "freezing" mid shopping trip.Something someopne else said also got me thinking about this.It
is not unlikely that we will never be placed in such a position and I for one wouldn`t have a clue how to deal with someone else freaking out on me.I mean..they say,don`t they,that if someone is hyperventilating,they should breathe into a polythene bag.Well its as sure as hell guaranteed that if I were to shove someones head in a plastic bag in the middle of town I`d get arrested for attempted murder!!!
Do you think there should be some sort of training for both ourselves and our carers to equip us to deal with common eventualities?It seems to me that we learn what we should have done AFTER the event.I am going to see a lady with parkinsons disease on wednesday,the only other person i have physically met with the same condition as me.And I have been thinking "what would I do if this happened..or that happened...and I realised that I possibly would be utterly useless.Sure I can offer gentle talking,and encouragement...but practical? Uh uh. I am sure I would mess up big time.
I know we can`t all be trained to neurological level,but we all undertake a mini survival course at school I guess...I know this for sure cos during my training in the school swimming bath,we had to listen for our partners knocking on the bottom of a capsized canoe...an indication to GET THEM OUT!!! QUICK!!! Well I was deep in discussion with someone else about the latest pop sensation while my poor friends fists were drumming like the clappers on the bottom [which was now the top] of her boat.
Being a little overweight she was well stuck and it took half the class to pull her out.She eventually shot out like a cork from the neck of a wine bottle and was propelled like a tornado the length of the swimming bath.Effective.Spectacular even...for the rest of us...who watched in stunned silence but not a pleasant experience for HER.
But..joking aside...am I the only one who you wouldn`t want around in the event of a mishap or like I said...shouild we be given support on possible eventualities.Frequently updated.
Does your book,Rosebud,say what is best to do with someone who is haviing a panic attack? Or do the carers on this forum have some quick tips on how Joe Public can be ready to deal with possible eventualities.
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote