View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh Phyllis, bless your heart. Don't even talk like that. Believe me, I've been in your shoes where I was so darned anxious I hated the world, but I really didn't want to die. I fought like the daylights to do whatever I could to make things better. I kept looking for the "right" therapist, the "right" medication, the "right" whatever!!! Unfortunately, since I've got a very addictive personalilty, I got addicted to the anxiety medication. So I had to stop that!

I found a GREAT therapist, who helped me immensely, plus my husband helped me alot too by telling me to ask myself "What's the worst that could happen?" So I kept asking myself that question when I became anxious and I could always accept my answer. If the answer I came up with was "The world might end, I usually could accept that. If it was " I might faint" --So what?? Who cares? I sure didn't. If it was "I might drop dead" -- Well, so be it. I could accept that too, but no one ever died from anxiety. LOL

So see? There's really not much reason to be THAT anxious, as I found out. I managed to "talk myself out of it" by just asking myself that question whenever I got anxious. Soon the anxiety started easing and in time it disappearred -- and it hasn't come back since. Pretty neat, huh?

Just thought I'd share that with you. Actually my husband helped me more than therapy did. Take care & God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes