View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow, old thread! I don't have the diagnosis that those above are talking about, but I experienced a kind of "emotional amnesia" after my status epilepticus episode, a series of seizures that lasted for, I don't know, about an hour and resolved in the ER after a bunch of drugs were pumped into me. It's my understanding that severe seizure episodes like that can cause brain damage, and that I'd suffered some. When I came home from the hospital four days later-and this was just after christmas, so should've been a lot of emotion involved, seeing all the unwapped Xmas presents I'd bought for my children, etc-I didn't have any emotional response to my neighborhood, house, family members, or anything. It was like I was visiting it for the second time. Remembered it, but no emotional attachment to anything.

Over time, I think I re-build emotional attachment though maybe it came back. I don't know. I had some more grand mal seizures after that, while on depakote, but nothing status, and I did not experience loss of emotion or anything (just typical exhaustion and headache afterwards).
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote