View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Daisy-

I am also in my 40s (which in many states means you can't even buy a supplement). I very strongly suggest you go to the local or state Area Agency on Aging/State Health Insurance Assistance Program {known as AAA or SHIP}

They are trained medicare advisors. Most are located within senior services nonprofits (for example my Area Agency on Aging is called "Sr. Services of SE Va") They serve ANYBODY who is eligible for Medicare - not just those over 65.

These programs have trained counselors who will utilize special software programs to intelligently guide you to the right Medicare plan for you, based on your needs and circumstances. They plug in all your medications, etc and can show you all the details & costs for the plans. The computer program will clearly spell out which plans are your best choice & lowest costs. It is a free and impartial service.

I do not recommend using the medicare.gov website to do this search. For most first timers it is tedious and not always the most accurate (or even simple to understand). Personally, I would rather let the AAA/SHIP advisor guide me as this is his field of specialty - it usually takes less than 30-45 minutes to get a plan picked and signed up for.

And remember - where you live makes a difference on what plans are available & for how much. Just because your friend Jane Doe has a similar sounding plan, she likely has different "details" and costs than a plan in your state with the same name.

Good luck and you will get throught this. I have no idea why it is so complicated - I just call it mental exercise and lessons on patience LOL

If all else fails: a good stiff drink takes good

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
jprinz99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
daisy.girl (09-05-2012)