View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

For someone who is gluten sensitive, even the cross contamination one gets from having a non-gluten food cooked in a pan that was just used for a gluten food, or getting a few crumbs from a gluten dish dropped into a gluten free dish at a buffet, can cause problems. When you think that even an accidental "dusting" of flour on a gluten free dish, or just a crumb of crouton on your salad, can cause problems, you eating a few bites of roll, cookie, etc, is actually a big amount of gluten.
I had to learn the hard way that I just can't do most restaurants. Buffets especially always give me problems. Even the Mexican restaurant, and ordering Rice, beans, and corn tortillas, gives me problems. One of my Mexican friends said that sometimes cheese in Mexico is made with wheat flour included, I guess as a sort of filler. If nothing else, the corn tortillas are probably cooked in the same pan as the flour ones.
On the plus side of losing weight, the first week I went gluten free, I lost about 5 pounds. I think all of it was the bloating and swelling I had had from the gluten damage.
Hugs,