View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Mucuna, Aminos

Hey Gerry and All,

My friend Jan used the same CHK protocol for two years, until a year ago August.

After reading about use of Mucuna in India/ayurvedic medicine, we learned the simplicity of mixing the mucuna powder in a small amount of yoghurt or (goat's) milk. Taking care to separate the aminos from protein meals by an hour, Jan found it generally beneficial to favor vegetables, lots of them, for meals.

Gerry, Jan's usage was very similar to yours. In her case, it took about six months for her to find a therapeutic dosage of the mucuna/aminos AND unhinge herself from Sinemet. That detoxing passage was horrendous but she made it and for about a year was quite happy -- in general -- with this approach and favored it over her prior three years' Sinemet experience.

Alas that the CHK testing never worked for her. It just didn't. By the time test results came back, she had already moved on...so we turned to other methods of testing and kind of bushwacked dosages and felt she'd found a protocol that would serve her for years.

The ride turned out to be difficult, taxing on her as dyskinesia events amplified. Eventually, the cost-to-benefit ratio dissuaded her continued use of mucuna/aminos. Jan returned to use of Sinemet begrudgingly, then had a honeymoon with Sinemet for a few months and was grateful for it. That was too short-lived, as dyskinesia and drug-overload burdened her liver, etc.

I researched further and found the Neurogenic Extracts, a vegetable and fruit concentrate that's manufactured in England. This is not a drug, but a dense amino acid nutritional support. Jan began supplementing with the extracts last November and has been able to substantially reduced her dependence on Sinemet and generally decrease drug usage, her personal goal. She's regained some physical resilience and it seems to me that the extracts were a critical aid in pulling her out of a spin that pointed squarely towards Multiple System Atrophy-P.

Anyhow, we can speak positively about mucuna/aminos and also the vegetable-based nutritional approach. Of course, there's no one thing that will fit everyone. Jan's neurologist says to Jan quite regularly: "I don't know anything about the things that you are doing, but keep at it. You are doing so well."

Of course, that sounds better than it is. Jan's in a very difficult phase right now, as she's had to back off of the Neurogenic Extracts for a time due to other financial needs. She's trying to hack it out on less Sinemet (now 2 to 3 tablets of 10/100 per day) and is on a trial of using the Merck brand, as this may have better uptake than the generic.

Always something to try, aye?

Best wishes to all,
Trisha
TrishaPDX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anagirl (09-14-2012), GerryW (09-06-2012)