View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default scs

I haven't had spread due to scs surgery but every now and then have some mild pain where the leads are and the battery. The scs helps about 75% of my pain on a good day. If the weather is really humid or changes in weather, high stress etc then it's about 40% helpful. I still get some sensitivity but desensitize constantly. Every day I rub my arm, especially if wearing different fabrics. If my hand feels feezing I wear arm warmers and they help. After the scs surgery I had alot of occupational therapy to get back function in my hand (it was frozen shut) I now have full function of my hand, still avoid using it alot but use it as much as I can to keep the function. I miss my active old life but have no choice but to adapt to this one. I still take meds-Lyrica 300 mg, Cymbalta 60mg, mobic and flexeril (at night because I get spasms). I also have a compound cream that helps especially with sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
SCS causes RSD at the incision sites for 60% of operations but as sande says even some of those say they are still better off however you have to accept that the majority need further operations because of moving leads or failed batteries and everytime there is a 60% chance of causing more RSD. Some have reported that they have had the SCS, removed because it made thins worse. It may help with the background and sharp stabbing pains but I have yet to read of anyone who said it helped with the hypersensitivity. In my case the first spread was caused by the use of a sensitivity pin 4ins outsiade what was thought to be the affected area causing it to spread from hand upto elbow so there is no way I am going to let them operate on me but everyone of us is different.
You need to think it through and weigh uprisks versus possible gains but it will not ake away all your pain
stressedout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote