View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi jennyct,

A picture may be helpful if you can take one and post it here.

However, it would be best to consult with an oral surgeon, not a periodontist, to evaluate both the extraction and implant sites. You could be having pain due to several contributing factors .... but the pain under the chin may be a sign of further infection. Your shoulder and ear pain are not from the plaque around the implant. Rinsing with warm salt water several times a day may be helpful in keeping the implant collar clean, but the areas really need to be re evaluated by a new set of eyes... preferably an oral surgeon.

Let us know how things are going..
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyct View Post
I have been in dental pain since March of this year. Two extractions, three fillings, one crown, one resorption, one abscess and two implants later (yes, all in the last 6 months), I am still in pain. Oh, and 7 antibiotic prescriptions.

The last on my agenda was #31. A root canaled tooth that was recrowned became abscessed within 5 days. It was a traumatic extraction, so I took 2 weeks of amoxicillin, probably also due to the fact that I had an implant in front of that tooth at the same time. The implant is doing well, but a piece of jawbone is exposed at the extraction site (tongue side/lingual), but since the gum looks good, they left it alone. Two days ago (1 week after finishing antibiotic and 3 weeks after extraction, the other side of the extraction site starts hurting and under my chin hurts. I also have intermittent ear pain and shoulder pain. It is constant. Why in the world would it hurt more now than a week ago? I went back to the perio who pulled it and he said the implant had plaque on it (he leaves the post exposed) and that was the reason for my pain. He seemed to ignore the fact that the pain is at the extraction site and not the implant site (probably because it looks good). He said I need to brush the implant site harder and that would get rid of my pain.

So here I am the next day and it's getting worse. There seems to be a blue color under the gum, but that's not the major source of pain. You can see where the bone sticks out but it hurts more a few mm below as if the ridge of the jaw is sharp. It feels like cut glass. It should not hurt me so I have constant pain to the point I can't breath comfortably.

Has anyone else encountered this? I am trying to find a way to take a picture...
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote