View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Pamster,

This is my second post to your question about extractions...

Most dental insurances cover a new denture every 5 years. Some wait 10 years... you can call them to find out exactly what the time frame is.

Most of the time what patients elect to do is self purchase the immediate denture and then submit to the insurance for the second one. The reason being is that the immediate will only be worn for a few months to a year at best. Whereas the permanent denture (the second one) will be worn for several years.

Let me clarify the issue of two dentures...

The immediate denture or first denture will need to be adjusted many times during the healing phase which will wear out the material. Once it's worn out, an office reline can be done but it won't last very long because that material breaks down rather quickly. A lab reline can be done but it means giving up your denture for a few days so it can be sent to the lab and it is expensive... roughly $500 or so. The denture may still need adjustments after this reline. A lab reline may last up to a year, depends on the fit and overall wear of the denture.

You can proceed with a few extractions now and a few later... but you may have difficulty with the fit of a denture due to the uneven healing of the bone and gum tissue. Some people have done it this way and it's worked okay, others not so good. Depends on the persons anatomy, the surgery, and the skill of their dentist and dental lab.

I would suggest that you talk with your dentist about your options before you have the extractions.

Keep me posted..
Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-08-2012), Kitt (09-09-2012), Pamster (09-10-2012)