View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Non-surgical approach

Non-surgical things that help TOS:

The Edgelow protocol (stretching scalenes, pushing down rib #1 through diaphragmatic breathing) is great. Though, as with any therapy, moving past your limits is going to flare you up.

Being really in-tune with your body and your limits is key. Over stretching, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting is going to flare you up. So, if a PT asks you to lift 5 lbs and you experience any pain while doing so, stop.

Aquatic therapy is so much more productive for me than land therapy because you use the resistance of water instead of weights. So - you are having a bad day. In the water, you can VERY easily adjust the resistance you are putting on your muscles, your facets and also the strain on your nervous system. Two water therapy methods produce results:
- Bad ragaz (check out some YouTube videos)
- Watsu (Dr. Weil explains this well - google this as well)

The water therapy approaches above should decrease your need for any other massage or chiropractic adjustments. Though if needed, myofascial physical therapy on land might also help.

I am an overachiever, so limiting what I do is the greatest challenge while managing TOS. To make sure I am making very small but important progress each day, I look to a physical therapist who understands and who has treated TOS, 5 days per week. (When I max out my insurance, I will prioritize the water therapy approaches listed over land therapy)

It is a challenge to find practitioners who get what you are going through and focus on rehab vs. meds. I am not sure I can count how many hours I wasted with doctors and PTs who actually made things worse vs. better - it is possible to find them though. Remember you are the expert of your body and deserve referrals to individuals who might help you from the doctors who do not.

In metropolitan areas, it is possible to find land and aquatic PTs and importantly, physiatrists who can be your guide and manage your progress.

Hope this helps!
TOSchick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nospam (09-12-2012), Woodstock3 (09-10-2012)