View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Hi Dorrie

I don't understand what's happening nowadays. There are hoards of diets and products available that promise weight loss, and tons of literature on nutrition. Still, people continue to gain weight.

I wonder sometimes if the diet industry is in business to keep people fat.

Around puberty, I gained a few extra pounds. I asked mom if I could go on a diet, and she absolutely refused. She said I should HAVE a diet, not be on a diet - moderation is the key. It didn't occur to me that she already had me on a diet because the only snack we had available was fruit. I remember getting mad at her because I wanted another orange, and she told me I didn't need one.

When I got married, I went up a size 8 dress and my ex-husband freaked out about the extra pounds. I delved into all the diet books, and tried them all - even drinking cider vinegar before each meal to curb my appetite (YUCK!).

NONE of those diets worked. I ended up gaining 30 pounds, and feeling horrible about myself. My ex kept reminding me of my disgusting weight gain, I kept obsessing over food.

I decided to quit listening to the diet experts, and I quit listening to my ex as well. Once in a while, a friend of mine and I would have a hot fudge sundae for lunch if that's what we craved.

Oddly enough, I lost a few pounds. I thought it was pretty cool, but my size didn't matter to me anymore. I lost a few more - go figure. After two years, it was completely gone - and it has never returned. I started working out because I enjoyed the extra stamina it gave me, and I accidentally turned into a physically fit "hard body."

When I met my husband, I thought I'd be in trouble because he loves food and loves to cook. He's the type of cook that likes to see people clean their plates and ask for more. I ate as much as I wanted and never gained any weight. I wonder sometimes if it's because he feeds my soul. He tells me I'm beautiful and my body is perfect - even now (yeah, I know he's lying, lol).

My sister has a weight problem. At one time we were the same size. She started dieting after my nephew was born 24 years ago. She's now labeled "morbidly obese." As was the case with my ex-husband, her husband was disgusted with her weight gain. He left her for another woman last year. My sister continues to diet and become larger.

Is it really the food that is causing all the weight gain in this country?

I think I didn't gain any weight because I didn't view food as a lover or companion. It's merely fuel for our engines. But I had an enormous sweet tooth. I found I didn't crave sweets as much because I knew I could have them at any time.

I view snacks as something sacred - something that shouldn't be abused. When a craving hits, I don't punish myself. I put it off for as long as I can in order to make the experience more pleasurable. Most times the cravings pass, other times I only need a little to satisfy the craving. Sometimes I truly pig out, but my body feels horrible afterwards. I'll only indulge in pigging out if I'm prepared for the physical and emotional down time afterwards.

I'll keep you in my prayers and hope you'll be able to make the changes you need to make in life.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote