Thread: Hard to drive
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiesva View Post
New problem in the last few weeks. Diagnosed with PN this summer. Symptoms ongoing for last 5 years. Numbess to knees and elbows. Extreme loss of what Dr referred to as "small muscles" in feet. Now I am having trouble holding/keeping pressure with my left foot on the gas peddle/brake. I feel that my ankle has no flexion at all-but when I try and bend my foot up it does flex upward. The issue is over the top part of my ankle, just dont have the strenth to keep my foot bent up at the angle to use gas/brake peddle. Starting gabapentin this week. Any ideas of cause or suggestions on what I can do to help this situation?

I have CMT, and driving is very difficult. I only drive for very short periods of time, not more than 15 minutes, and never on highways. I also do not take pain medicine if i have to drive since my reflexes are already compromised. My leg cramps up quickly and I get severe back pain as well. My legs are numb to above the knee and I have visible muscle loss. I drive through a combination of muscle memory and watching the speedometer. I even have to be careful which shoes I drive in as some wider ones throw me off completely.

My doctor and neurologist have both suggested hand controls, but my hands are not without symptoms, and I don't feel confident enough to make the change. I am fortunate in that I have extra drivers at home and live very close to stores, doctors, etc. I do not expect to be driving at all in a few years.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote