Thread: Trouble Chewing
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile99 View Post
Thank you for all your input. I guess it's just a mentality you learn to embrace. I think I'm still at a point, since I haven't been dealing with this all that long.

I'm currently taking 60mg of Mestinon three times a day. I've learned to time it about 30-60 minutes before I eat to maximize the benefit (from an eating perspective), but that wasn't working so well the last couple of days. Today has been better.

I've already thought about talking to my neuro about trying to add another dose each day, but I'm trying to hold out for just a little bit to see if it comes back down to at least what it was just after I started the meds.

Thanks again for your input!
Personally, I did not notice much of an improvement in chewing strength and improved swallowing until I got up to 60 mg's Mestinon 4 times a day, taken during daytime, so each dose is 4 hours apart. IVIg and presnidone may also have helped improve it, but I see more of a cause and effect with Mestinon. Speaking is okay now with me, except that I an stuck with that weak "Godfather" voice, but it beats the "Hellen Keller" garble that occurs when those muscles completely fail. Going in for Thymus Cat Scan with contrast today....will see how that thing looks. Still early days, diagnosis just one month ago, although I clearly had deteriorating symptoms for the last 6-8 months. Peace be with you. P.S. You know if you have a good food processor or blender (I have the Vitamix 5200) you can whip up some pretty good tasting and nutritious stuff in there. I've been combining fresh veggies right from the garden with organic fed chicken. It comes out in a puree but boy is it tasty...and easy to swallow.

Last edited by PhotoBug50; 09-11-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added blender!
PhotoBug50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote