View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

AnnAgain, I will listen to that 27 minute program, but I know from experience I cannot tolerate the so-called Caveman Diet. I tried it years ago--many years ago--when someone called Nick and others were advocating it on the previous forum to this. I was, after 4 days, in tremendous pain. I could not wait to return to the Swank Diet.

I needed carbs because I had Porphyria, and I didn't need the extra fat, because I had MS. I have always had trouble digesting fat, and this may be due to liver weakness, or enzyme weakness in the stomach, although I test normal for liver function at all times. I do take enzymes for digestion. Maybe I need that Pancrease I had years ago, for higher protein digestion.

Anyway, I have no trouble with either protein or carbs as long as I avoid high saturated fat of any kind. And I need carbs both for "roughage" and for Porph regulation. I can't get much roughage from "greens" like kale, or lettuce, I must avoid leafy greens. I get along dandy with all grains, so I guess I went down a different evolutionary path than the Cave-eaters. Seriously, our ideal diet does in part relate to what ancestors ate.
My healthy Irish ancestors ate lots of potatoes. My sick Scots relatives ate tons of saturated fat in biscuits and fatty meats, with plenty of butter. I don't know what the English ancestors of mine ate.
Excuse rambling.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (09-11-2012)