Thread: Ethambutol
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Sorry I don't have anything to offer about your question regarding this antibiotic.

I'm just curious about the mycobacterial Avium. Is it a form of TB? Didn't you have TB in the past? If so, does it mean this is probably resulting from the previous infection?

Just trying to understand what you're going through. I'll assume this is the reason for your SOB. Any clue how you got this?
Mrs.D is correct (as usual). Mycobacterium Avium is a "cousin" of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. The doctor explained that M.Avium is environmentally acquired, not contagious. It can be found in soil, water, air, birds drop, anywhere. So, we are all prone to get it. If one is healthy, even he/she gets it, it will just disappear on its own. In my case, since I already had a previous infection, I was likely to get it. It is more critical for AIDS patient.

Strangely, the doctor said, it is less likely the cause of my SOB, but it is more likely the cause of the decline of my lung function.

I dont know where I got it, maybe in the soil (I do a lot of gardening) or in the air I breathe. We live by the pond where there are lots of ducks and sometimes birds from other countries when they migrate.

By teh way, the doctor took me off Symbicort and just continue the Spiriva.

My main concern now is hte effects of these medicines. I had difficulty when I was on TB medications before. I was hospitalized due to nausea and vomitting. My stomach dooes not do well with antibiotics (especially now that I am having problems with my stomach too). ALSO, I could not be treated with anything that will suppress my immune system. I will discuss this with my new rheumy on friday.

Well, one day at a time.

Thank you en bloc.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote